Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up: The One With New Recipes

 We're back to school this week, back to the gym, back to science class at the children's museum, back to a regular work week, generally we're back to our regularly scheduled program.  My revamped organizational system and homeschool schedule made getting back into the school groove a breeze!  We've even managed to get through a whole week of school with very minor complaining.
I spent some time reworking the boys' chore charts, and mine since I can delegate a few more chores, and I even sneaked in a couple of evenings to put together a few scrapbook pages.

If you need something to help you with your goals, or resolutions, or whatever you want to call them, check our MapMyFitness.  The mister and I are using it to keep track of our health goals, there's a free version for iPhone users. 

My meal plan for the first couple of weeks worked out wonderful!  We tried several new recipes that I had found on Pinterest and liked most of them.  I had to revamp the next couple of weeks because we rejoined the local gym and started working out in the evenings.  J and The Mister go to Taekwondo class right at dinner time so I had to shift some things around.  Time to break out more crock pot recipes!

Here's what we tried and what we thought:

Roasted Veggie Mac and Cheese - Comfort of Cooking
Roasted Vegetable Mac 'n Cheese  FULL of veggies, NO butter 
This was incredible!! Well The Mister and I loved it.  The kids wouldn't even taste it after they spotted the veggies.   It has cayenne pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes to give it a bit of a kick and since it's full of veggies, I could almost convince myself it was healthy. 


Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup - Key Ingredient
For winter... Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup My update: just made this minus the sun dried tomatoes and it was SO good, we'll be having it again for sure. 
This was actually the second time we've had this, and everyone in our house likes it.  Yeah!! I actually got a "mom, you're the best cook ever!"  Of course I made the roasted veggie mac and cheese the next night and fell headfirst off my pedestal, but I'll take what I can get.  No one in our house particularly likes sun dried tomatoes so I just leave them out.  Served up with some crusty french bread, this soup is perfect for a cold winter day.


Salmon with Brown Sugar Glaze - AllRecipes.Com
 Salmon. 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 4 boneless salmon fillets, salt/pepper to taste//Broil 10-15 mins!! Update: made this tonight and loved it!
I made this strictly for myself since I'm the only one that eats salmon around here. I really liked it and will be making it again. There's only two ingredients, brown sugar and dijon mustard, which are always in my fridge, so it's a quick fix while I'm pawning off leftovers on the littles.


Crispy Cheddar Chicken - Jamie Cooks It Up
Crispy Cheddar Chicken 
This was another family pleaser!  I ended up using two large chicken breasts and it was more than enough for our family of four.  Coating the chicken was super messy, but worth the effort, these cheesy chicken tenders were so yummy! This one even got me another "best cook" award! Hey...twice in one week, I'm on a roll.

We also tried this breakfast casserole (for dinner!).  It wasn't a complete fail, but I probably won't do it again.  I had to bribe suggest to the boys they might get root beer floats during our movie night if their plates were clean.  I'm a really picky bacon eater, I like my bacon c.r.i.s.p.y.  Obviously cooking bacon in a crock pot doesn't achieve this, and apparently I just really don't like turkey bacon.  Live and learn. 


Since I'm trying out all of these awesome recipes I went looking for a cute (and organized!) way to keep them on hand. There are so many cute printable recipe cards out there, but I really wanted something I could type on easily.  I found these editable cards online and went to work. Bon Appetit Recipe Cards  - Free editable and printable
Whenever I have a recipe that I know I'll make again, I type it into the card and save it.  When I have a stock pile saved up I'll print them all out.  I was going to use cardstock, but now I'm thinking about using regular paper and laminating them for durability, and cleanliness!  We'll see...







No comments:

Post a Comment